Technology in Post Secondary Education

Proposal suggests we aren't doing enough for higher education

Mikaela Alvarez, Reporter

Courtesy of Pixabay

The U.S Department of Education wants technological education to be front and center in schooling after high school in order to meet the goals of the nation according to Inside Higher Ed. The National Education Technology Plan was released just before the presidential inauguration and entails incorporating better standards of technology in post-secondary education such as implementing a new technical service and data infrastructure.

The report suggests that post-secondary education is failing to meet the needs of nontraditional students. For example, “The current system generally fails to credit learning experiences that occur outside traditional academic settings; raises hurdles to credit transfer; imposes schedules and delivery approaches that fail to meet the needs of too many students; forces many learners to incur unnecessary costs; and doesn’t connect students well with the job market.”
There are all kinds of other issues with the limitations set in place at this point in time. some of these issues include; not connecting students with the job market, and making them incur ridiculous charges for their studies. This report offers many options for how the schools can make a difference to change these issues through effort and working together with the students.