Prepositions on Pause

District bond packages voted down by Travis County

Rachel Boone, Reporter

The proposed $572.1 million bond package for the school district will not be going into effect next school year, and the district plans to discuss persistent issues at a future Board of Trustees meeting. The Board will adopt its budget for next school year in June, and set its tax rate in September.
The bond was unanimously agreed upon by the Board and received support by Williamson County voters, but Travis County voters ultimately defeated it at the bond election on May 6.
The bond was split into three propositions: the first proposition called for the construction of a new high school and elementary school; the second proposition called for the addition of a career tech high school and the expansion of C.D. Fulkes middle school into a Performing Arts school; the third proposition called for an outdoor athletic facility and for improvements on existing facilities.
Round Rock Parents and Taxpayers Association members stated that they would help the district create a new bond in hopes that the district will engage with the community more than they did with the previous bond.
District and community members in favor of the bond stated that the addition of new schools would solve the problem of overcrowding. According to district spokesman Corey Ryan, the package would have helped cover the cost of technology updates and maintenance within existing schools.
Following the defeat, the district issued a statement regarding future plans for funding and accommodation for crowded schools. The district also stated that they will continue to aim to provide world-class service to students and families.