Trooper Treats

Class makes crispy treats for police officers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trooper Treats

Creating crisps: FLC student Olivia Edmonston works on adding sprinkles to the rice crispy treats, in preparation to cut them.

Tyler Chasteen, reporter

Police officers crowd around the small tables of the Functional Learning Class (FLC), grabbing heart shaped, and homemade, rice crispy treats in appreciation of kindness week.

“[Anne Herbert] started kindness week, and this week is kindness week,” paraprofessional Brenda Medina said. “It was on our ‘News-2-U’ paper we do every week. It has articles, it has a lot of history on paying it forward.”

“She chose that week, from the 12th to the 18th just to show kindness,” paraprofessional Alustree White said. “To me it’s saying that there’s not enough kindness in the world today.”

Kindness week is what prompted the students and teachers to give back to the community. Along with rice crispy treats, the classroom has planned to do more in the coming months to accomplish this.

“We also want to show kindness to the dog pound, we’re going to give blankets to the dog pound, in a couple of weeks,” teacher Meg Gangi said. “We’re going to show kindness to our assisted living centers by making them flowers and giving them on Mother’s Day. This will all be made by our students with assistants with us.”

Gangi, the teacher overseeing the classroom and kindness week, reached out on behalf of the students to garner the attention of the Round Rock Police Department to deliver the treats they had made. To their delight, the officers responded.

“The students worked hard to measure, mix, press, cut out and decorate heart shaped rice crispy treats,” Gangi said. “The police officers’ responses were overwhelming. The students became more and more excited as one policeman after another entered the room to shake hands and high five. We had so many officers come out to participate. They see our students as important enough to take the time out of their day, to come and say hello and to meet them.”

Medina believes the treats were more than just for kindness week, they are a way to get a message to the community, to let the school and city know about the FLC classrooms.

“It’s to stay involved and let [the police officers] know that we’re here and that we’re thinking about them,” Medina said. “[It’s also so] that our kids can do something for them, make something as simple as this, at the heart of our rice crispy treats. That and we’re doing this as a job, we’re selling these to the campus and teachers, raising money for our field trips. This is one way our FLC students are doing that.”

One of the students working with the FLC students, while not able to be there, does give insight into how the event was good for them. The students will learn to be social with others, so these interactions are healthy ones.

“I think this experience was good for the kids because it gave them the opportunity to expand their social skills,” junior Rachel Boone said. “Events like this help them prepare for the interactions they will have in the future with other people.”