Spring Into Fun

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring Into Fun

Last year's legacy: The Student Council hopes
to model the upcoming Spring Carnival after last
year's event, but with additional booths.

Last year's legacy: The Student Council hopes to model the upcoming Spring Carnival after last year's event, but with additional booths.

Izzy Solis, reporter

Senior and Student Council president Marshayla Dukes discusses the future of the spring carnival with her fellow peers. They’re sat around a table asking questions that must be answered. Who is going to be involved? How can students be encouraged to come? How will the council make a difference? “The spring carnival is basically to get the community involved because Stony Point in the past doesn’t have such a good rep,” Dukes said. About 50 people, including the class councils and their sponsors, have been working together to make the carnival a reality. Since the spring carnival was supposed to be happening in the fall, the student and class councils have put the entire year into it. Most of their meetings and time consists of planning for the spring carnival. “We have several meetings in place. We actually just had one this past week,” Dukes said. “We’re basically setting up committees and we’re organizing different sections. Some people are going to be in charge of different sections.” The spring carnival is also a fundraiser for Student Council as well as all of the other groups that participate. Each club or group that wants to participate in the spring carnival pays a $25 flat fee to participate. This is how the Student Council gets their part of the fundraiser, while participating clubs get their money from leftover revenue from their activities or booths. “I know NHS is part of it, and Young Women with Dignity and anybody else that wants to join to raise money for their club,” vice president Kyrah James said. “We’re having a lot of different booths and a lot of different activities for the kids to help raise money for clubs and stuff.” Student Council has also been creating flyers to post across campus as well as flyers for younger kids to post in the elementary and middle schools. Groups like Key Club, AVID, UNICEF and many more will be participating in the spring carnival, and the council hopes to see even more groups participate this year. “I am most excited about letting this community see that Stony Point is a wonderful campus of caring and giving people,” Student Council sponsor Veronica Mackey said. “I love our campus and want to help take care of our own.” Although the Student Council has not yet come up with an official date and had to push back first semester’s fall festival, they hope the spring carnival will fall on the Friday before spring break so it can kick start the week long vacation. “I encourage students to come to fellowship and have fun with each other and to help others who are in need.” Mackey said. “Love and kindness is at its greatest when you can see it at work.”