Pep Rally Repression

Some teachers believe pep rallies take up too much learning time, think administration should get rid of unnecessary gatherings

Lindsey Parker, senior reporter

The ideal high school experience is commonly filled with football games, face paint, and pep rallies. Much of the student body participates in one way or another, whether it be through cheer leading, singing school songs, or one of the many other ways students can be involved in the culture that revolves around high school as a whole. However, high schools have decided that fewer pep rallies have become necessary.
Not only are pep rallies fun and a good way for students to relax by participating in school spirited activities, but the games that are typically played at a pep rally can promote teamwork and many other personality traits that can be beneficial to students outside of school. Pep rallies also encourage students to make more friends and become involved in the school to make their overall experience more enjoyable.
Schools and administration nationwide continue to stress the importance of pep rallies and defend them by giving reasons as to why they benefit students and staff. Assistant superintendent Lee McDade of Hamilton County believes pep rallies are important to a school community. “As a former coach, I think that pep rallies do serve a purpose and do help students and athletes develop a sense of school pride,” McDade said. Not only do students believe that pep rallies are favorable, but teachers and coaches also agree with the notion that pep rallies do more good than harm, and can only provide advantageous time during the school year and football season.
Furthermore, these gatherings of pep and spirit also aid in students’ participation in activities that can push them to be active, even if they are not already part of a sport or physical education class. The games that many high schools play during the rallies promote exercise because they are often competitions that involve running from one side of the gym to the other, relay races, and activities that include being fast as a factor, just to name a few. It can be argued that all administration of any school would not protest students being active, therefore increasing the rewards that pep rallies offer to students.
However, it is granted that pep rallies often take time out of the educational work day at school because it has to be fit in at some point during the day. Instructors are known for disliking assemblies that disrupt their teaching because sometimes the class that is disrupted becomes behind, or classwork turns into homework, but a couple minutes taken from each class is a minimal price to pay in order for the students to have a fun get together with their friends after a long day of sitting idle in classrooms for an extended period of time.
Typically, students are the individuals that are detesting the reduction of pep rallies because they are the ones who benefit from them the most. Therefore, students have a voice that they can use in order to notify administration that pep rallies are important, not only to student participation, but to students in general.
Teachers are often times the population that disapprove of the pep rallies due to the fact that their lessons are interrupted by the activities that ensue following the commencement of football season. However, this privilege should not be taken from students because a few teachers find the groups and teams that participate in the gatherings to be an anachronism. Not only is this type of belief offensive to the students that put hard work into the enjoyable aspect of a pep rally, but it promotes the patriarchal, institutionalization that incidentally surrounds adolescents as a whole.
The toxicity that engulfs thinking such as that is the exact ideologies that were common in the 20th century when the only sport that was enjoyed, was football. Now, however, cheer leading, drill team, and many more sports are ways for students to remain active. Outdated, typically traditional, philosophy is what continues to hold teenagers and adolescents down from pursuing what they desire.
Overall, the only way to change the new rules set in place with the fewer pep rallies is to voice your opinion. Students, parents, and pep rally creators alike can contact administration in order to accomplish the act of bringing back more pep rallies to enjoy. Parents typically have more push than students do, therefore, contact from them will certainly cause some sort of wave for admin to add more pep rallies. Your voice matters and if you don’t want the liberty of pep rallies completely taken away, change must be put in motion.